Social media, as Elon Musk keeps telling us, is the new town square. Billions gather, chat, share, and make decisions there. For businesses, this space can be golden: It’s instant access to your audience; they’re reactions, hopes, dreams and tastes all laid out for you to see. At least for a while. The problem with technology, of course, is that it rarely stays still. The landscape is constantly changing as new platforms come into vogue and old ones fall away. There are never-quite-taking-off misfiring start-ups which can be expensive investments, there can be unexpected crashes and pivots to new forms of media. It’s an exciting space, but one that can be unreliable if you don’t stay on your toes.
Decoding the Social Algorithm
If your marketing strategy was a movie, the social algorithm is the behind-the-scenes director, deciding which scenes (or posts) the audience sees. It prioritises content based on its perceived value to the user – gauging engagement, relevance, and user activity. The catch? This director changes its rules frequently.
Content Adaptation: Why it Matters
If the algorithm is the director, your content is the movie. As the rules change, so should your storyline and delivery. This adaptation ensures your movie stays on the big screen. Plus, it guarantees a broader reach and more interaction with your brand.
Navigating Changes with Adaptation Strategies
Here are some tools and techniques for keeping your content fresh and relatable:
- ➔Stay Alert to Algorithm Shifts: Understand that these platforms evolve to serve their users better. Staying updated lets you pivot your strategy when needed.
- ➔Prioritise Social Media Optimisation (SMO): Think of SMO as SEO's sibling – it's about making your content easily discoverable on social platforms, and the same rules apply: use the words and tags, choose the right themes and phrase things in the right way.
- ➔Diversify for Different Platforms: Instagram might be all about captivating visuals, while Facebook values community-building, Twitter/X is about direct reactions and moving fast, while TikTok is about rich video content. Customising your content for each platform's unique rhythm ensures a better response.
- ➔Master the Platform's Tools: Dive deep into features like stories, hashtags, or live videos. Each platform has its own set of tools and its own rules. The better you use them, the more you'll shine.
- ➔Focus on authenticity and add value to the conversation rather than merely promoting the brand.
- ➔Engage Actively and Authentically: Social media thrives on real connections. Chat with followers, respond to comments, and foster a community spirit. Users can sense when a brand is paying lip service to its community interaction, and respond positively when that interaction is genuine.
Harnessing Organic Reach
Organic reach is digital word-of-mouth – it's about how many see your content without you paying a penny. While its potential has dipped recently, there are still ways to optimise it:
- ➔Prioritise Quality and Value: Produce content that's relevant and resonates with your audience. It'll naturally attract more eyes.
- ➔Boost Engagement: Encourage conversations and sharing. More interactions mean a wider spread.
- ➔Collaborate with Influencers: Partner with those who already have a following. It's a ticket to introduce your brand to a broader audience.
- ➔Post Smartly: Understand when your audience is most active and adjust your posting schedule accordingly.
What Lies Ahead in the Social Media Universe?
As we look to the future, the only guarantee is change. Social media platforms will persistently evolve. The change can be unexpected. Think about Musk’s takeover and rebranding of one of social media’s biggest players, Twitter, the rocket-speed rise of TikTok and the blink-and-you-missed-it popularity of something like Clubhouse. The key for businesses is to stay informed, embrace innovation, and always prioritise the audience. Go where your audience goes. By doing this, they can ride the digital wave successfully.
Adaptability is any brand's superpower. Stay updated, engage genuinely, and always focus on delivering value. This will ensure that amidst all changes, your brand remains a consistent favourite.
Published on 2023-08-21 12:12:33